Share | 

ScumRun 2013 'The Hertfordshire Nomad' updated 23/07/12

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Dashworth
Event Organiser
Event Organiser

PostSubject: ScumRun 2013 'The Hertfordshire Nomad' updated 23/07/12   Sun Feb 19 2012, 12:07

Hello Forum members!!!

you all know me and Russ so I'll spare the introductions and introduce our 'joint venture' for next year's adventure.

Basiclly, I thought you all might like to know that me and Russ will be taking part in the 2013 ScumRun charity rally.

the Charity rally is a 3000 mile trip through Europe, which encompasses some of the best driving roads in Europe, Track Day action at one of Europe's premiere race tracks and aims to raise money for A charity chosen by the organiser's.

the 3000 miles are driven over 4 days and can only be attempted in a car that costs 500 or less. Once you have bought the car you can modify it and spend as much as like doing so Smile

Anyway, We drove up to Burton upon Trent this morning to survey our prospective purchase and we fell in love as soon as we saw it Very Happy

The whole car is structurely sound with a small patch of surface rust on the rear passenger door and a small amount behind the drivers side rear head light, nothing a little bit of work cant sort out Smile

The only other issue the car has is a little bit of laquer peel on the boot lid.

Other than whats been mentioned, everything works as it should!!!

The plan now is to source a complete mk3 2.0 16v GTI and drop everything into our little 1.3 Jetta Smile I'll try to keep you posted as we make progress.

here she is, let me know what you think.

scumball project by dashworth1987, on Flickr

scumball project close up by dashworth1987, on Flickr

Last edited by Dashworth on Mon Jul 23 2012, 11:59; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dapperdan
Nomad Crew
Nomad Crew

PostSubject: Re: ScumRun 2013 'The Hertfordshire Nomad' updated 23/07/12   Mon Feb 20 2012, 05:14

nice one dash i am lovin that ooooooooooo yeah

View user profile
Calimori
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: ScumRun 2013 'The Hertfordshire Nomad' updated 23/07/12   Mon Feb 20 2012, 05:21

Yeah, good motor and great road trip coming up.
Having helped people do some stuff similar in the past there were a couple of things that caught them out.
1) Insurance for a group of mates driving in EU
2) Breakdown cover
3) Breaking down with inferior breakdown cover ;-)

We had a 500 cost budget as well and I dropped out after the idea to go in a MK2 or MK3 golf/Jetta was dropped in favour of an ice cream van. In then end they had a standard mini bus with too much people and not enough power. They blew the clutch in the end near Nice in France.

2.0 16v will be enough. ;-)

dapperdan
Nomad Crew
Nomad Crew

PostSubject: Re: ScumRun 2013 'The Hertfordshire Nomad' updated 23/07/12   Tue Feb 21 2012, 02:11

-if you insure through HIC they cover you in europe and on tracks

-and i think the AA cover in europe too

i agree an ABF swap is the best way straight swap from mk3 ,you can use the brakes as well

defo buy a whole running mk316v tho

View user profile
Mat
Nomad
Nomad

PostSubject: Re: ScumRun 2013 'The Hertfordshire Nomad' updated 23/07/12   Sat Feb 25 2012, 15:09

abf it and then come and fit one in my car
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fitzy

PostSubject: Re: ScumRun 2013 'The Hertfordshire Nomad' updated 23/07/12   Sun Feb 26 2012, 12:08

gimme a shout if u want breakdown cover Smile

PostSubject: Re: ScumRun 2013 'The Hertfordshire Nomad' updated 23/07/12   Fri Mar 23 2012, 18:12

Sweet, keep us up to date on progress.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dapperdan
Nomad Crew
Nomad Crew

PostSubject: Re: ScumRun 2013 'The Hertfordshire Nomad' updated 23/07/12   Tue Mar 27 2012, 08:04

dash dude you neeeeed to get yourself onn Clubgti website
quite allot of tech and possible 16v's on there

its the best place

View user profile
Dashworth
Event Organiser
Event Organiser

PostSubject: Re: ScumRun 2013 'The Hertfordshire Nomad' updated 23/07/12   Tue Mar 27 2012, 10:51

Thanks dan, I'm on there already, going to have a look at a valver on Saturday Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SuperMario
Nomad Junkie
Nomad Junkie

PostSubject: Re: ScumRun 2013 'The Hertfordshire Nomad' updated 23/07/12   Thu Apr 05 2012, 09:37

16v in hunts atm dude ......

Was a G60 in there up till yesterday, now its the size of a house brick =( !!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dashworth
Event Organiser
Event Organiser

PostSubject: Re: ScumRun 2013 'The Hertfordshire Nomad' updated 23/07/12   Mon Apr 23 2012, 10:23

Found a mk3 valver!!!

Will be picking it up on Saturday! 119k full service history with tax and test for 600

Yay for a bargain!

Pictures of said sh*t heap soon Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mat
Nomad
Nomad

PostSubject: Re: ScumRun 2013 'The Hertfordshire Nomad' updated 23/07/12   Mon Apr 23 2012, 12:16

Nice one mate
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dapperdan
Nomad Crew
Nomad Crew

PostSubject: Re: ScumRun 2013 'The Hertfordshire Nomad' updated 23/07/12   Tue Apr 24 2012, 01:45

nice one bruvvvvvvva

gring on the pics

View user profile
Fitzy

PostSubject: Re: ScumRun 2013 'The Hertfordshire Nomad' updated 23/07/12   Tue May 01 2012, 05:07

ooo its getting exciting Smile

Event Organiser
Event Organiser

PostSubject: Re: ScumRun 2013 'The Hertfordshire Nomad' updated 23/07/12   Thu May 10 2012, 02:57

Hello again Nomads!!! time for an update.

Bare in mind that although Russ is quite a skilled amateur mechanic (in my humble opinion) I know absolutely nothing about what im about to embark on so this is going to be a massive learning kerb for me - we've got a little under a year to get it built so lets begin!!! Razz

After what seemed like an eternity of looking through classifieds and being messed around lots, we finally found a Mk3 16V gti, It was owned by a VW enthusiast who's kept it in brilliant condition.

It came with 2 huge folders of service history, Sachs sports clutch, DTM back box and 2" large bore exhaust... 119k on the clock, not a bit of rust on her and runs so sweet! All for the princely sum of 600.

So we drove up to Sheffield, to go and buy it Smile (why are cars always so much cheaper up north)

Here is our lovely donor car! (apologies about the awful iphone pictures in this update)

mk3 16v by dashworth1987, on Flickr

Once we had bought her, we drove down from Sheffield to Kings Lynn where Jacobee's barn is and stashed her away from the cold wind and rain of the north east Smile

for anyone who has done a similar trip before, It feels like an eternity... no motorways, just pothole filled A roads and an occasional Roundabout Neutral there is nothing fun about it.

Anyway, Whilst the mk3 was up at the barn, the Jetta was busy looking very sorry for itself outside Mintys garage. It had an issue starting at this point and I was getting very vexed at having to bump start it every time it needed to be moved. Sad

jetta at mintys house by dashworth1987, on Flickr

The Jetta was eventually towed up to the barn a couple of days ago, due to not starting, not having any tax, mot or being insured Very Happy and they met for the first time

cherry and the donor at the barn by dashworth1987, on Flickr

Yesterday me and Russ drove up and got there about lunch time, jump started the Jetta (again Mad ) and drove the mk3 and the Jetta into our brand new barn Smile gotta love a spacious unit.

let the work begin! by dashworth1987, on Flickr

horray!

this is the part where it gets exciting Very Happy we started stripping the Jetta and in my personal opinion considering I have the mechanical knowledge of a gold fish, we did a really good job Smile

Russ is a hero though and put up with me asking lots of questions throughout... It was really fun to do and ive learnt loads even by just taking the engine out and playing with all the wiring loom Smile

having a 1.3 engine fall on your foot isnt pleasent though and i learnt there are lots of liquids in the engine that fall all over the floor! Razz

yay for learning!

engine out! by dashworth1987, on Flickr

almost all ready for the ABF by dashworth1987, on Flickr
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mat
Nomad
Nomad

PostSubject: Re: ScumRun 2013 'The Hertfordshire Nomad' updated 23/07/12   Thu May 10 2012, 03:17

Nice job mate will have an abf in it in no time! Very jelous of all that space!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
minty "TIMMY"
Event Organiser
Event Organiser

PostSubject: Re: ScumRun 2013 'The Hertfordshire Nomad' updated 23/07/12   Sat May 12 2012, 17:01

U finaly got a mrk3,fair play.
Looking forward to this.
I bet u had fun trying to Push her Out off my garage!!
Will be sad to see her go.....I might have to buy another car cus the frog misses her company so much she's out side this eve!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dapperdan
Nomad Crew
Nomad Crew

PostSubject: Re: ScumRun 2013 'The Hertfordshire Nomad' updated 23/07/12   Mon May 14 2012, 08:45

nice one dash -man theres nothing like getting yur hands dirrrrty,

swaping everythingfrom a running donor is a great start X

i also may be interested in some of your mk3 bits too ,including head lights fog lights and bumpers

and interior ;-) wen your ready

View user profile
Dashworth
Event Organiser
Event Organiser

PostSubject: Re: ScumRun 2013 'The Hertfordshire Nomad' updated 23/07/12   Mon May 14 2012, 20:27

yep, no worries matey. there will be a 'massive pile of mk3 crap for sale' thread up in the not to distant future.

I've promised big pete the rear doors but i dont know how long it will be until we start pulling it apart.
the plan is to get down there this saturday and get all the rear subframes on the mk2. couple of weeks i reckon and we'll be selling bits and scrapping the rest.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dapperdan
Nomad Crew
Nomad Crew

PostSubject: Re: ScumRun 2013 'The Hertfordshire Nomad' updated 23/07/12   Tue May 15 2012, 01:07

Dashworth wrote:
yep, no worries matey. there will be a 'massive pile of mk3 crap for sale' thread up in the not to distant future.

I've promised big pete the rear doors but i dont know how long it will be until we start pulling it apart.
the plan is to get down there this saturday and get all the rear subframes on the mk2. couple of weeks i reckon and we'll be selling bits and scrapping the rest.

no rush mate take yur time just let me know wen they are off, maybe we come to some arrangement with stickers etc ?

View user profile
Dashworth
Event Organiser
Event Organiser

PostSubject: Re: ScumRun 2013 'The Hertfordshire Nomad' updated 23/07/12   Tue May 15 2012, 05:38

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dashworth
Event Organiser
Event Organiser

PostSubject: Re: ScumRun 2013 'The Hertfordshire Nomad' updated 23/07/12   Mon Jul 23 2012, 08:56

Right time for an update. Surprised

This update starts late on a cold Friday night at minty manor drinking lots of cans of manly cheap lager.
After lots of stories of various sexual conquests and an amusing tale about deep see fishing in Newquay, our dear friend Douglas claimed that we wouldn't have time or have the ability to get the engine out of the Mk3 and sat in the Jetta in the few hours we had and proceeded to stake the princely sum of 5 English pounds on his claim.

Offence was taken and the bet was accepted...

get the ABF into the Jetta in 1 day and we would win 5

So Me, Russ and Jake got up at 0700 Saturday morning, drank lots of coffee and smoked lots of cigarettes, traveled up to the barn and proceeded to get stuck in.

The first issue we encountered was the sealed and pressurised air conditioning on the Mk3...

Me and jake began to scratch our heads in order to think about what solution we could come up with when Russ returned from having a tinkle and exclaimed 'I know what to do, We had the same problem on my Mk2'

When Russ had finished talking and we had stopped listening he approached the Mk3 with an evil glare clutching a Stanley knife...

The Ozone will never forgive us Sad

The initial incision that Russ had made was obviously not environmentally unfriendly enough though so he returned to the mini Auschwitz he had just created and hacked a bit more off the pipe ensuring the garage was uninhabitable for the next hour...

Thankfully Breakfast took about that long

The next stage was gutting the Jetta's empty bay of all the break lines, wiring looms and taking the dash out and the heater matrix...

none of this was fun and I am not looking forward to rewiring any of it... f*@! MY LIFE is about the only thing i was thinking when we got the whole loom into the car and stripped the whole bay bare.

After we had got all of the wiring loom into the interior of the jetta and the bay was completely clear of everything minus the front sub frame and the thingy that steers the car we were able to start pulling stuff off the mk3 and try and get the engine crane we were 'borrowing' to work...

the plan at this stages was to disconnect everything we possibly could from the engine, sub frame, wish bones etc and lift everything out in one go as there was less to do when we were putting it back together Smile

This provided to be very easy but as always seems to be the case, something always goes wrong and taking this engine out was no different...
Whilst underneath the car I couldn't unbolt the down pipe from the rest of the exhaust so Russ, Then Jake attempted to have a go. After we had all done minor damage to our hands Jake exclaimed 'f*@! THIS' and went back to the main barn laughing quietly to himself like some sort of mentally handicapped person...

Jake then returned from the main barn with a mental saw and we took it in turns to destroy what was left of the exhaust...

Russ was obviously quite happy we managed to get the exhaust sorted

The next step was to get the engine crane and the chain attached to the ABF and drag it out, Russ managed to unbolt the UJ with me pulling the engine away from the main body as much as possible whilst Jake disconnected the rest of the pipes and loom from the main engine...

The engine was then freed from the terrible, fat, overweight piece of sh*t Mk3

Yay for team work and stuff Very Happy

The final result of hours and hours of manual labor was the ABF test fitted into the Jetta Smile

We managed to wheel the engine into the bay and swap round the front cross member and engine mount for the Jetta one, All that was left to do was angle grind the supports off the rear of the front Mk3 sub frame so that the piece would bolt in and be secure....

Unfortunately we ran out of time to complete the swap and have it bolted in but we didn't tell Doug, so we are still 5 richer

The engine is now resting on the floor of the workshop with the front sub frame, wishbones, break set up and all the other bits attached waiting for us to swap all of the other bits from the Mk3 into the Jetta.

The fuel tank, pump and wiring loom from the mk3 are ready to go into the Jetta and The rear sub frame has already been fitted with the discs and 5x100 hubs Smile The hand break has also been fitted and work which is obviously a bonus come MOT time.

hopefully that should just be another days work between me and Russ but if anyone fancies giving us a hand... let me know Smile

Its usually a good excuse to get away from the missus and have a laugh...

The final picture of the day is the alloys we are going to be putting on the Jetta, I was mooching around Edition.38 and found some 16x10 and 16x8 staggered fitment Compomotive 3 piece splits that are being sold for a good price.

So I'm off to Wales at the end of the month to go and pick them up, if you look really closely you can see a fully polished dish with gold bolts and cream centres

Back to top Go down
View user profile
dapperdan
Nomad Crew
Nomad Crew

PostSubject: Re: ScumRun 2013 'The Hertfordshire Nomad' updated 23/07/12   Mon Jul 23 2012, 14:07

nice update keeeeep it upp chaps how long have you got to finish

View user profile
Dashworth
Event Organiser
Event Organiser

PostSubject: Re: ScumRun 2013 'The Hertfordshire Nomad' updated 23/07/12   Mon Jul 23 2012, 14:18

The ralley is in may so we have approx 9 months to finish it... I think it's going to take me that long to work out the loom though Sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
D.A.M IT!

PostSubject: Re: ScumRun 2013 'The Hertfordshire Nomad' updated 23/07/12   Tue Jul 24 2012, 10:04

Nice progress Dash!!!! I'm sooo jealous of your lock up.... Ooooh the space Smile not so jealous on the rewiring job you've got to do but I'm sure you'll make it all good before May.

love the wheels as well, how much did you pay for them?? & just out of intrest why are you swaping the petrol tanks over? was the jetta a diesel?

3.0 VR6 Corrado / KW varient 1 suspension / EBC disks and pads / RH ZW1's and over 200k on the clock Twisted Evil
"most people either regret not buying a Corrado when they had the chance, or getting rid of a Corrado when they had one.....
so by keeping it, I spare myself that!"

-=my photobucket albums=-
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ScumRun 2013 'The Hertfordshire Nomad' updated 23/07/12   

Back to top Go down

ScumRun 2013 'The Hertfordshire Nomad' updated 23/07/12
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next